Do you know what is the purpose of an EICR? Over time wiring deteriorates and an EICR (electrical installation condition report) will identify any issues so, they can be resolved ensuring no harm can come to individuals. In this article, we explain what is the purpose of an EICR.
What Does EICR Stand For?
An EICR is an Electrical Installation Condition Report. The report highlights any damage, breakdown and faults on electrical installations which may cause danger to individuals and also explains recommended improvements. Below we explain what is the purpose of an EICR.
What is the Purpose of an EICR?
So, what is the purpose of an EICR? The purpose of an EICR is to guarantee the safety of individuals within both domestic and commercial properties. An EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is a formal document produced following an assessment of the electrical installation within both domestic and commercial properties. The report must be carried out by a highly qualified, skilled and experienced electrician or an approved electrical contractor with good working knowledge of electrical installations. Typically the electrician or approved electrical contractor will have completed a course covering periodic inspection and testing and are either registered with the JIB or a scheme provider such as the NICEIC Plus.
An EICR is needed for homes, businesses and rented properties although it is not a legal requirement to have an EICR, but many legal documents make reference to an EICR as a way of satisfying their requirements. The recommended frequency for having an EICR carried out depends on the type of premises. Below are the recommended frequencies for the different types of premises:
- Homeowners – It is recommended that homeowners have an EICR completed at least every 10 years. Please note, it is important to have one carried out when moving out or into a new property, if the insurance company requires one or if the current electrics are old or potentially faulty. This time scale may be reduced depending on the outcome of the EICR.
- Rented Properties – Landlords of rented properties must maintain an up-to-date EICR under the ‘Landlord and Tenants Act (1985)’. A landlord must ensure that the electrical installation in their rented property is maintained safely throughout a tenancy. It is recommended that an EICR test is carried out at the change of tenancy or at least every 5 years. It is also recommended that annual PAT testing is carried out.
- Businesses – An employer is responsible for the welfare and safety of their employees. Under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act it states that employers are ‘responsible for the health and safety of their employees’ and The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires that precautions must be taken in order to prevent the risk of injury from electricity used as part of work activities. It is recommended that an EICR should be carried out at least every 5 years.
EICR for Landlords
Woods Building Maintenance offer Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR) for landlords. We carry out inspections of electrical installations in rented properties to comply with the legal duties landlords’ face ensuring the electrical infrastructure of rented properties are safe for tenants.
We are an NICEIC approved electrical contractor, we have a team of highly qualified, trained and skilled electricians who are 18th edition wiring regulations compliant and are able to complete EICR on rented properties. To arrange an EICR on your rented property please call us on 0330 3530 365 or simply fill in our contact us form.
Reactive Maintenance Company
Woods Building Maintenance is a reactive maintenance company based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We deliver a range of reactive maintenance services to both domestic and commercial properties across the North of England. Our maintenance services are available 24/7 365 days a year supported by our own 24/7 helpdesk.
Our maintenance services include:
- New Boiler Installation
- Replacement Boiler Installation
- Gas Services
- Electrical Services
- Plumbing Services
- Maintenance Services
- Glazing and Locks Services
- Drainage Services
Here at Woods Building Maintenance, we pride ourselves on offering exceptional reactive maintenance services at the lowest possible price without compromising on quality. Our friendly helpdesk advisers are always available to take your call offering support and advice.