Preparing your Home for Winter
With winter on its way it’s important you start preparing your home for winter with strong winds, rain, snow, ice and freezing temperatures expected. Woods Building Maintenance give you 10 top tips for preparing your home for winter.
Top 10 Tips for Preparing your Home for Winter
Do you know how to prepare your home for winter? Not preparing your home for winter can be costly. Here are our top 10 tips to preparing your home for winter to help prevent damage to your home and expensive repair bills.
Make sure your home is prepared for winter with our handy tips:
- Get a Boiler Service – How often should a boiler be serviced? Booking your boiler in for an annual service will ensure it operating safely and efficiently to its maximum capacity. Here at Woods Building Maintenance, we can book your boiler service in for a time and date that suits you. Our Gas Safe engineers will conduct a thorough boiler service checklist which will help prevent any major boiler breakdown during the coldest of winters.
- Set your Boiler Timer – There’s no need to have your heating on whilst no one’s home. Putting your boiler on a timer will make sure your home is warm before you get up on a morning and come home from work. It will also ensure your boiler is operating efficiently.
- Insulate your Pipes – During winter when the temperature drops the water in your pipework can freeze easily. Insulating your pipes using foam padding or insulating tape will prevent the water in your pipes from freezing.
- Bleed your Radiators – If your radiators are cold at the top and hot at the bottom when your central heating is switched on then you need to bleed your radiators. For more information on how to bleed a radiator read our helpful guide.
- Check External Lighting – As the evenings grow darker, it’s important to check the external lighting around your home is working. Having adequate external lighting around your home will make sure your grounds are well lighted. If you have any electrical issues contact Woods Building Maintenance, we are a NICEIC approved electrical contractor so, you can rely on us to fix your electrical issue safely and efficiently.
- Turn Appliances off Standby – Remember to turn the appliances in your home off standby mode. Please check the instructions first before doing so.
- Insulate your Loft – According to the Energy Saving Trust insulating your loft space with 270mm of insulation could save you around £12 a year. If you haven’t already insulated your loft or you have inadequate insulation, we recommend insulating your loft properly to prepare you home for winter.
- Turn down your Thermostat – Turning down your thermostat by just 1 degree will save you money on your energy bills.
- Clear gutters, down-pipes and gullies– In winter, we have a lot of rainy days so, it’s important your gutters are effectively catching all the rainwater flowing from the roof.
- Reduce Shower Time – Reducing the amount of time you spend in the shower by just one minute will save you money on your energy bills.
Many households across Britain aren’t prepare for winter, but it’s never too late to prepare for the colder weather with our 10 handy tips.
Reactive Maintenance Services
Woods Building Maintenance is a reactive maintenance company based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We offer a range of reactive maintenance services to both domestic and commercial customers across the North of England. Our reactive maintenance services are available 24/7, 365 days a year supported by our own 24/7 helpdesk.
We offer all the following maintenance services:
- Boiler installation
- Gas services
- Plumbing services
- Electrical services
- Drainage services
- Glazing and locks
- Maintenance services
Here at Woods Building Maintenance, not only do we pride ourselves in the quality of our work, but also our exceptional customer service. From the moment you contact one of our friendly helpdesk advisers you will receive first class customer care.
If you require any of our reactive maintenance services, please call us on 0330 3530 365 or contact us online with your request.