Do you know how to stay safe with electricity? We rely on electricity every day of our lives to keep us warm, help us cook and keep us entertained – What would we do without it? Electricity plays a very important role in our lives, but it can be dangerous if we don’t know how to stay safe with electricity. In this article we show you how to stay safe with electricity.
How to Stay Safe with Electricity?
We often forget how powerful and dangerous electricity can be. In fact electricity is responsible for on average 350,000 serious injuries in the UK each year so, it’s extremely important we know how to stay safe with electricity around the home.
Electrical Safety Tips for Around the Home
To help show you how to stay safe with electricity, here are our 6 electrical safety tips for around the home:
- Carry out basic safety checks – Our first tip on how to stay safe with electricity is to inspect your electrical wires, sockets and plugs for damage. You don’t need to be an electrician to carry out basic safety checks on electrical appliances in your home.
- Don’t overload sockets – Most of us will have an extension lead in our home. It’s important you buy an extension lead from a reputable brand and don’t overload your sockets. Overloading electrical sockets can result in an electrical fire.
- Remember to turn appliances off – Another tip on how to stay safe with electricity is to remember to turn electrical appliances off at the plug socket when you aren’t using them. Not only will this save you money on your electricity bill, but it will also reduce the chances of a fire starting in your home.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water – If you aren’t careful electricity and water can be a deadly combination. Ensure you stay safe and keep electrical appliances away from water, make sure your hands are dry when touching electrical appliances and don’t stand in water when you touch electrical appliances.
- Ensure all electrical wires are tucked away – Don’t have electrical wires laying around because people can trip over and fall or pets can chew the wires.
- Be careful when carrying out DIY – Our final tip on how to stay safe with electricity is to be careful when carrying out DIY in your home because DIY errors cause half of all serious electrical shocks in UK homes. Most common electrical DIY errors include cutting through power leads, drilling into wiring and repairing electrical items whilst they are still switched on.
Electrical Services from Woods Building Maintenance
Do you need reliable electrical services? Woods Building Maintenance are an NICEIC approved provider of electrical services across the North of England. We deliver professional and reliable electrical services to both domestic and commercial properties.
All of our electricians are City and Guild qualified with years of experience within the industry so, you can have peace of mind all electrical services carried out by us are completed safely and efficiently to the highest standard. No job is too big or too small for us, we are able to carry out the work on time and at the lowest possible cost without compromising on quality. As a NICEIC approved provider of electrical services, we prioritise the safety of our customers following IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:2008) and will provide you with all the relevant certifications that you may need.
Our electrical services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Fault Finding
- Maintenance and Repairs
- Additional Socket & Light Points
- Lighting and Power Installations
- Consumer Units Repairs and Upgrades
- Partial or Complete Rewiring
- Immersion Heaters
- Water Heaters
- Electrical Storage Heaters/Radiators
- Towel Rails
If you require any of our electrical services please call us on 0330 3530 365 or simply fill in our contact us form with your request.
We also offer an unmatched 24/7 Electrical Emergency Service across the North of England so, if you have an electrical emergency and need an electrician straight away, please call us on 0330 3530 365 and we aim to get one of our qualified and experienced electricians out to your property within just an hour to resolve the issue.
Reactive Maintenance Company
Woods Building Maintenance is a reactive maintenance company based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We deliver a wide range of reactive maintenance services to both domestic and commercial properties across the North of England. Our maintenance services are available 24/7, 365 days a years supported by our own 24/7 helpdesk so, we are always on hand to handle any emergency you may have.
Our maintenance services includes:
- Building Maintenance
- New Boiler Installation
- Replacement Boiler Installation
- Gas Services
- Electrical Services
- Plumbing Services
- Drainage Services
- Glazing and Locks
Here at Woods Building Maintenance, we pride ourselves on delivering exceptional reactive maintenance services at the lowest possible price without compromising on quality. From the moment you contact one of our friendly helpdesk advisers you will receive first-class customer care.