The British winter is well on its way and it pays to prepare your home for the coldest of winters. Wind, rain, snow, ice and chilling temperatures can affect our properties so, it’s important you prepare your home for winter to prevent any expensive repair bills. In this article, we show you how to prepare your home for winter…
10 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Winter
When winter arrives so, does the bad weather wind, rain, snow and ice can all damage your home. However, preparing your home for winter will prevent damage and expensive repairs bills.
Prepare your home for winter with our top 10 affordable ways to prepare your home for winter:
- Service your boiler – How often should a boiler be serviced? It’s important your boiler is serviced annually to ensure it is operating to its maximum capacity. If your boiler hasn’t already been serviced this year, we recommend booking your boiler in for a service to help prevent any major boiler breakdowns during winter.
- Clear gutters, downpipes and gullies – In winter, we have a lot of rainy days so, it’s important your gutters are effectively catching all the rainwater flowing from the roof.
- Insulate your pipes – Insulating your pipes using foam padding or insulating tape on your pipework will prevent them from freezing. When the temperature drops the water in your pipework can freeze easily. Insulating the pipework or putting the heating on at a constant low temperature will prevent the water from freezing in the pipes. For more information on preparing your plumbing for winter read our top 10 winter plumbing tips.
- Secure your roof tiles – We often experience strong winds and storms during winter which can damage your home’s roof. Make sure you secure or replace all unsafe, dislodged or loose roof tiles.
- Bleed your radiators – If your radiators are cold at the top and hot at the bottom when your central heating is switched on then you need to bleed your radiators. For more information on how to bleed a radiator read our helpful guide.
- Check external lighting – Now the dark nights are drawing in, it’s important to check the external lighting around your home is working properly. Having adequate external lighting around your home will make sure your grounds are well lighted so, you can see where you are going.
- Put your heating on a timer – During winter it’s a good idea to keep your heating on even if you go away. Putting your heating on a timer will help keep the system running effectively. If you find your heating suddenly stops working call Woods Building Maintenance on 0330 3530 365 and one of our Gas Safe Registered heating engineers will look at your central heating system.
- Insulate your loft – According to the Energy Saving Trust insulating your loft space with 270mm of insulation could save you around £12 a year. If you haven’t already insulated your loft or you have inadequate insulation, we recommend insulating your loft properly to prepare you home for winter.
- Prevent blocked drains – Pouring down oils, grease and hard to grind will block your drains so, try avoiding doing this to prevent blocking your drains. If you have a drainage problem, call us on 0330 3530 365 and one of our drainage specialists will come out to solve the problem.
- Clear your garden – During winter, paths and paved areas can become slippery. Look for leaves, moss and other debris in your garden and at the entrance to your house which may be a slip hazard. Maintaining your garden during winder will prevent any trips or slips.
Prepare your Home for Winter with Woods Building Maintenance
Woods Building Maintenance is a planned and reactive maintenance company based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. We offer a range of planned and reactive maintenance services to both domestic and commercial customers across the North of England. Our services are available 24/7, 365 days a year supported by our own 24/7 helpdesk. Here at Woods Building Maintenance, we pride ourselves on exceptional levels of customers service. From the moment you contact one of our friendly helpdesk advisers you will receive first class customer care.
Prepare your home for winter with Woods Building Maintenance. We can help you prepare your home for winter at the lowest price without compromising on quality.
Our maintenance services include, but are not limited to:
- Gas services
- Plumbing services
- Electrical services
- Glazing and locks
- Drainage services
- Maintenance services
- Boiler installation
No job is too big or too small for Woods Building Maintenance. If you require our assistance call us today on 0330 3530 365 or contact us online with your request.